Sunday 10 November 2013

Business Communication Reflective Journal

Before embarking on the assignment, we have come up with few discussion sessions in order to decide which shop to pick as our target for investigation. In the end, we have chosen Uncle Seng's Noodles House, a homemade noodle shop which is located at SS15. I was interested in how the owner manages the shop as efficiently as it has been ranked highly by customers. The business is very good because of the strategic location and also the quality of the food.

We have visited the shop and did a face to face interview with the owner, Uncle Seng. After the interview, I have fulfilled my expectation as I have a better understanding towards the operation and communication methods which the owner is implying. Furthermore, I also get some tips on how they make their noodles so that it distinct from the normal noodles. Unfortunately, I did not have a chance to observe the process of making the noodles as it was done early in the morning. They have to prepare the noodles every day using fresh ingredients in order to ensure the tastiness and freshness of the noodles. Furthermore, another secret weapon of the shop would be the special sauce that is made by Uncle Seng himself.

Besides, we have faced some problems while deciding the interview time and thus procrastinated the interview for 2 weeks as Uncle Seng is extremely busy with his customers. For our group, we have difficulty in choosing a common free time too. Lastly, I have decided to make it on a Thursday afternoon where we were free and Uncle Seng was going to close down his shop. However, one of our members was absent due to emergencies. But we still manage to conduct the interview smoothly as I have done the preparation much earlier and the duration of interview was around an hour.

After the interview, we stayed at there for lunch. I have observed how he communicated with his workers and also entertaining his customers. He fixed them into specific job like so that the customers can enjoy their meal within shorter time. Upon completed the assignments, I have come across to bundles of new knowledge. I have realised that responsibility and cooperate are extremely important to especially when it comes to group work. A task cannot be achieved if one of the members does not cooperate with the other members. Besides, it is definitely not an easy task to start up a business and it is even harder to maintain the prosperity of the business as there are so many competitors out there. I have picked up some skills of managing and communicating with people that are really essential for me when I am to work in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment